"Fashion is the physical manifestation of who you are"

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Good Reads: The Little Black Book of Style





This book is quite a fun and informative read. Nina Garcia keeps her voice light throughout, with a few funny moments that are genuinely surprised. I'm not a huge fan of 'Project Runway' and therefore was a little surprised the narrator is a judge on the hit show. I had no expectations upon beginning, but had hear her tone tended to be dry and even condescending -- this is the infamous Nina Garcia, after all.

But I was quite surprised. Especially around my first laugh-at-loud moment, when she discusses the importance of buying shoes that actually fit your feet and not just your budget: "Toes spilling out of a pair of strappy, sexy sandals is a very painful sight. I do not wince out of sympathy for your feet. I side with the shoes."

The rules of style never really change -- however, Nina Garcia does a great job at giving you the tools to edit your closet, your shopping habits and helping you discover and create your own style.

Aside from the usual advice one gets from style manuals, she provides a chapter on finding your fashion inspiration, complete with a bulleted lists of movies and rock fashion icons. She also has an entire chapter of quick question and answer sessions from fashion professionals such as John Galliano, Vera Wang, Carolina Herrera, Oscar De La Renta, etc.

However, at the end of the text I found that I wanted to read more of her own experiences with style and fashion. These moments in the book were by far the high points. While I did like the inclusion of so many lists, her voice was lost sometimes lost among all of the bullet points. Which is a shame, because some of her life stories are truly unique, such as the one about her mother's live-in seamstress (this is by far my favorite part of the book)

Overall, this book was a fun, informative read that left me smiling for the rest of the day. I highly suggest it, no matter what your level of fashion or style experience may be.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment